Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Preschool


We did it, we put Tanner in preschool. Not by our choice, but so that he could continue to receive therapy.



Tanner was born with hypotonia, which is low muscle tone, or in other words he was a floppy baby. He was immediately referred to The Discovery Center, an early intervention facility, for therapy services, which he has continued to receive weekly since he was born. Tanner is doing fabulous, but because I wanted his development to be monitored for a while still, I had him tested here in Utah to see if he qualified for services. He does of course.



In Ohio I would take him once a week and then stay with him so I could learn how to help him at home. When he qualified for services here they told me they wanted to put him in preschool, from 2 to 4 days a week. I said no, Tanner just turned 4 and I was not ready for him to be gone that long, besides the school was on the very south end of the county and it took me 25 minutes on the freeway to get there, I did not want him riding a bus that long. So I asked if I could just bring him in once a week for therapy.





They told me the only way they provide services to kids is through the preschool. So because Tanner is still in need of therapy I agreed to one day a week. Yesterday was his first day to go on the bus. I took him the week before. It is hard for me to let him go, but he loves it so that makes it easier.

Ellie and I waiting for Tanner's bus.

4 comments:

a.men said...

You are doing the right thing. It maybe hard for us to see our children go into the world, but sometimes we can not provide everything they need at home. It is nice that they provide such services that will help your child be the best that he can be! Good Luck!

Cassie said...

Have fun at school Tanner!

Laurie said...

Some parts of being a mom just really suck! I'm sorry. I'm with you on the not wanting to let them go just yet. Hang in there. At least you still have "Yellie" at home.

Becky said...

Growing pains. Ouch. Micah will be jealous when he sees the picture of Tanner getting on the bus. I'm glad Tanner like it, though. Great picture of you and Ellie, too! Tell all your guys hello for us.